Narendra Modi elected Gujarat BJP legislature party leader
- 9 killed, over 40 injured as Bengaluru-Ernakulam Express train derails near Hosur
- SC says allegations grave, but grants relief to Teesta Setalvad in cheating case
- All you need to know about AAP's WiFi Delhi promise
- 19 killed as militants storm Shia mosque in Pakistan
- Modi’s cricket diplomacy: Renewing political contact with Pakistan
Narendra Modi was today unanimously elected leader of BJP legislature party, paving the way for his swearing-in as Gujarat Chief Minister tomorrow for the fourth time.
All the 115 newly-elected BJP MLAs attended the meeting where Modi was formally chosen the leader in the presence of central observer and the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley.
Modi's name was proposed by senior MLA Vaju Vala, who was Finance Minister in the outgoing cabinet, and seconded by four other senior legislators. After the proposal was carried unanimously, Jaitley announced Modi's election.
Modi will be administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor Kamala Beniwal tomorrow.
BJP won 115 seats in the 182-member legislative assembly in recent elections.