'Bhasmasur' Narendra Modi has consumed mentor L K Advani: Jairam Ramesh
- Naxal threat has to be quashed with a firm hand, says Pranab, as Maoists kill 16 in Chhattisgarh ambush
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to the west coast
- AAP defends Rs 20,000 per person dinner with Kejriwal, says it was transparent
- Bhagwat cautions RSS cadres against crossing limits for BJP
- Narendra Modi's new found love for Bihar a ploy to win votes: Nitish Kumar
Union Minister Jairam Ramesh today described Narendra Modi as 'Bhasmasur', a mythological character known for trying to destroy his creator, and said the Gujarat Chief Minister has "consumed" his mentor L K Advani.
Ramesh, a Congress strategist, also compared his party leader Rahul Gandhi and Modi - the two possible Prime Ministerial candidate for the 2014 elections, saying while Gandhi was trying to create a structure and a system in the country, Modi "is saying he is the system and the structure".
"Modi is Bhasmasur. He will consume the people who have created him. He has consumed his mentor, Mr Advani. He has consumed Togadia, one of his co-conspirator in 2002 and he is nothing but a Bhasmasur," the minister said.
Bhasmasur was a demon who was granted the power to destroy anyone whose head he touched with his hand by Lord Shiva. When Shiva granted him the power, Bhasmasur attempted to touch the head of the Lord with his hand because he saw his wife Parvati and wanted to possess her.
Ramesh was reacting to a volley of questions about the developments in the BJP after Advani's resignation from all party posts following the elevation of Modi as the party's chief campaigner for the next Lok Sabha polls.
"The fundamental difference between Rahul Gandhi and Narendra Modi is that Gandhi is trying to create a structure and a system which is not dependent on individuals. Modi is saying I don't care about the system, I am the structure. I am the system. Nothing exists other than me. Gandhi has never said that," he said when asked about the difference between the two leaders.
The Minister, however, refused to say that the 2014 elections will be Rahul Gandhi Vs Narendra Modi contest but said it will be the fight between Congress and RSS.
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express