Narendra Modi urges PM to help Indian victims of Nairobi terror attack
- Arvind Kejriwal calls 'emergency' Assembly session to discuss Centre's notification on Lt Governor's role
- Celebrations in AIADMK camp as Jayalalithaa becomes Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- No full statehood rights to Delhi unless there is consensus, says Arun Jaitley
- Gujjar protest to continue as talks with Rajasthan govt fail
- Heat wave toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana reaches 223
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to use his good office to ensure safety of Indian victims in the Nairobi terror attack, which has left 69 people dead so far.
In a letter to the PM, Modi said, "I stressfully urge that the central government should use all the resources available to it to provide safety and security to families of those Indians and Gujaratis who are victims of the terror attack."
"Among those killed and injured in the terror attack, Indians are also victims and have lost lives and some of them are also injured. This inhuman act has put many Indian origin family in insecure position and they expect help from Indian government immediately," Modi said.
"When we have been target of such terror attacks, we can understand the pain and suffering of innocent people. It is time to bring together humanitarian forces to fight the war against terrorism," he said.
Reports received here in Gujarat says that at least five people having their origin in the state have been killed and some others are injured in the Nairobi mall terror attack.
"I would like to draw your attention to the fact that large number of Indian and mostly Gujaratis have settled in Kenya," he said in the letter.
The BJP prime ministerial candidate had spoken on Sunday to India's High Commissioner to Kenya and had urged him to help victims of the brazen attack.
Heavy gunfire and loud explosions erupted at Nairobi's Westgate shopping mall on Monday as Kenyan troops fought Al Qaeda-linked gunmen who were holding hostages after massacring at least 69 people including two Indians yesterday.
The Red Cross said at least 63 people were recorded missing, thought to include hostages as well as those possibly killed or still hiding in the 48-hour-long siege.