Nation remembers Jawaharlal Nehru on his 123rd birth anniversary
- Political parties can't be under RTI Act: Centre tells Supreme Court
- US stocks plunge in early trade; Dow Jones falls more than 1,000 points
- Black Monday: Sensex crashes 1,624 pts; Rs 7-lakh cr wiped out
- OROP row escalates, ex-serviceman on fast-unto-death shifted to hospital
- UN court to India: Suspend all trials against Italian marines
The nation on Wednesday fondly remembered the country's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on his 123rd birth anniversary with President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari leading the country in paying homage to him.
Mukherjee, Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paid floral tributes to Nehru at Shanti Van, his memorial on the banks of Yamuna in the morning amid chants of hymns and patriotic songs.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Union Ministers Salman Khurshid and Kamalnath and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit were among the prominent persons who paid floral tributes at the memorial.
At the end of the ceremony, the dignitaries released tricolour balloons in the air amid playing of bands by students.