Nation remembers Jawaharlal Nehru on his 123rd birth anniversary
- Rahul Gandhi meets victims of Kolkata flyover collapse, says he won't give a political statement
- CBI court allows retired IPS officer DG Vanzara to return to Gujarat after 9 years
- Shani Shinganapur row: After HC order, activist Trupti Desai heads towards shrine
- NIT Srinagar shut after clashes over India-West Indies semi-final match in world T20
- NaMo Brigade founder is key suspect in RTI activist’s murder
The nation on Wednesday fondly remembered the country's first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on his 123rd birth anniversary with President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari leading the country in paying homage to him.
Mukherjee, Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paid floral tributes to Nehru at Shanti Van, his memorial on the banks of Yamuna in the morning amid chants of hymns and patriotic songs.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Union Ministers Salman Khurshid and Kamalnath and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit were among the prominent persons who paid floral tributes at the memorial.
At the end of the ceremony, the dignitaries released tricolour balloons in the air amid playing of bands by students.
- Military alignments with US, without open debate, may foreclose India’s options
- Clearing the air on savings from DBT scheme for LPG
- JNU, HCU controversies frame changing space university
- Jihad made Pakistan powerless before the monster it created
- EU-India Summit gives a new momentum to ties
- Nawaz Sharif helping army to rule without governing Pakistan