'National Girl Child Day' being observed today
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress fields Ajay Rai against Modi in Varanasi; Arvind Kejriwal slapped, BJP calls it a drama
- Amit Shah will destroy secular fabric of UP: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Bihar: BJP attacks Nitish over CRPF officer's death, calls for probe
- BJP's election manifesto is for, by and of Narendra Modi
- First phase of Lok Sabha elections: High turnout in two N-E states
The ''National Girl Child Day'' is being observed today.
Ministry of Women and Child Development has been taking a multi pronged approach to address and reverse the trend of declining child sex ratio in the country.
The objective of all these initiatives is to work towards ensuring that girls are born, loved and nurtured and grow up to become empowered citizens of this country with equal rights and opportunities.
As part of the activities being undertaken to celebrate the National Girl Child Day, a nation-wide slogan writing competition amongst high school children in the age group of 14-18 years is being organized by the National Mission for Empowerment of Women under the aegis of the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
The objective of organizing this competition is to let students suggest a fresh mnemonic through the slogans for the theme "save the girl child''.
The slogan should reflect the larger concern of gender equity and empowerment of girls in a rights based approach.
The Government of India in 2008 declared January 24 of every year to be celebrated as the ''National Girl Child Day'' with the objective of raising consciousness of the society towards the girl child so that she can be valued and respected.
- 4-yr-old sexually assaulted by school bus attendant
- 65 lakh voters register in Pune district
- Candidates declare assets, Ayali has property worth Rs 16.86 cr
- Chaos at DC office as heavyweights file papers
- Culex vishnui mosquito is now breeding in city, finds PGI survey
- Over 6 lakh registered voters in city