'National Girl Child Day' being observed today
- Arvind Kejriwal hits back at Jung on cancelling secy appointments
- US releases documents recovered in raid that killed Osama bin Laden
- Al Qaeda describes 26/11 Mumbai attack as 'heroic Fidai', 'blessed' operation
- Key member of Modi's poll campaign team likely to work for Nitish Kumar
- Food inspectors order recall of Maggi noodles, say it contains excess lead
The ''National Girl Child Day'' is being observed today.
Ministry of Women and Child Development has been taking a multi pronged approach to address and reverse the trend of declining child sex ratio in the country.
The objective of all these initiatives is to work towards ensuring that girls are born, loved and nurtured and grow up to become empowered citizens of this country with equal rights and opportunities.
As part of the activities being undertaken to celebrate the National Girl Child Day, a nation-wide slogan writing competition amongst high school children in the age group of 14-18 years is being organized by the National Mission for Empowerment of Women under the aegis of the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
The objective of organizing this competition is to let students suggest a fresh mnemonic through the slogans for the theme "save the girl child''.
The slogan should reflect the larger concern of gender equity and empowerment of girls in a rights based approach.
The Government of India in 2008 declared January 24 of every year to be celebrated as the ''National Girl Child Day'' with the objective of raising consciousness of the society towards the girl child so that she can be valued and respected.