Naval warship INS Talwar collides with fishing trawler, four injured
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
A fishing trawler sank after colliding with Navy's frontline frigate INS Talwar near Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra injuring four of the 27 persons on board the civilian vessel, Navy officials said on Tuesday.
This is the fourth mishap involving a naval warship this year including INS Sindhurakshak accident where the vessel sank inside the Mumbai harbour after an explosion in its torpedo section.
INS Talwar collided with an unlit fishing trawler near Ratnagiri coast in Maharashtra around 2130 hours last night in which all the 27 occupants of the civilian vessel fell in the sea, the officials said here.
All the persons in the trawler were pulled out by INS Talwar and dropped on the shore after being provided required medical attention, they said.
Four of the civilians, who are fishermen, suffered minor injuries in the mishap, sources said.
The Navy has ordered a Board of Inquiry to ascertain the reasons behind the incident, sources said.
Navy sources said the mishap took place as the fishing trawler was operating without lights and could not be seen in the dark.
The fishing vessel suffered extensive damage and sunk right on the spot.
This year, Navy warships have been involved in four mishaps.
A fire broke out on INS Konkan at the dry dock in Visakhapatnam on Navy Day on December 4 when it was in the dry dock for maintenance.
The fire incident had come a day after Navy Chief Admiral D K Joshi asserted that Navy's record was "not all that bad" in terms of accidents when compared to other navies in the world.
On August 14, INS Sindhurakshak had sunk in Mumbai naval harbour after an explosion probably in its torpedo section killing all 18 personnel on board.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today