Naveen Jindal case: Subhash Chandra says can't join 'investigations'
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Express 5: Lalu's daughter at Ram Kripal's home and another Navy officer killed
In response to a notice send by investigators asking him to join investigations, police sources said Chandra has replied seeking more time as he is abroad.
Two Zee Editors Sudhir Chaudhury and Samir Ahluwalia were arrested two days ago following investigations into a complaint filed by Congress MP Naveen Jindal's group alleging that they had demanded Rs 100 crore for not airing negative news on coal blocks allocation linking his company.
Chandra was asked twice by police to join investigations and in court yesterday, investigators have alleged that they were treating him as an accused as he knew about the dealings between his employees and Jindal's company.
Asked whether investigators would now approach court seeking issuance of warrant, a senior police official said they will take such a decision if there is a need. "At the moment, it doesn't seem so," he said.
Police is likely to seek extension of remand of Chaudhury and Ahluwalia when they will be produced before court tomorrow. They were sent to two days police custody yesterday.
With Chandra not joining investigations, sources said, police is likely to seek further custody of the two editors citing that their custodial interrogation will be necessary to unearth conspiracy.
Investigators had claimed that forensic experts have validated the authenticity of the video tape submitted by Jindal in which purported conversations of Zee Editors demanding Rs 100 crore for not airing news negative about his company.
Zee Group has denied the allegations and demanded the immediate release of its two senior journalists, alleging that the police action was "illegal" and "designed for something else".
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today