Navjot Singh Sidhu will not to contest Lok Sabha elections after BJP snub, says wife
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
BJP MP from Amritsar, Navjot Singh Sidhu, will not contest the 2014 Lok Sabha elections as he has been 'sidelined' by his party, his wife and BJP Chief Parliamentary Secretary Navjot Kaur Sidhu said on Wednesday.
"Everyday, I hear talks and read in local media that Sidhu has run away from Amritsar. It is being said that he is ignoring the constituency for TV shows and other assignments. That is not the truth. It is the other way round. After being sidelined by party, he has chosen to devote time to TV shows and other assignments. As things stand today, he will not contest the upcoming Lok Sabha polls," the doctor-turned-politician told The Indian Express.
Kaur alleged that Sidhu, a three-time MP, was not in loop while selecting party leaders for state and even Amritsar district bodies. "He has already made up his mind not to contest the polls after being ignored. That is why he is working on other assignments," she said, adding that while Sidhu worked tirelessly for Amritsar, both Union and state government scuttled the projects pushed by him.
"While taking up projects you lose out on money and everything, including giving time to the family. And then the party does not recognise your efforts," Kaur said.
On her Facebook page on Sunday, she had written in length expressing anguish over Sidhu not being in the loop to "run the show (of party) even in Amritsar, not to talk about the whole of Punjab". Among the things she wrote on her page, were "evil wins over; still kaliyug; Amritsar loses a real leader, who struggled to make the divine city beautiful. I salute him because truth always wins".
In one of her posts, she had asked whether Sidhu had been ignored "because he will not promote corrupt leaders and those who join the Opposition leaders to defeat their own men, will not be a party to engulf peoples properties, will not ring up police officials to support criminals?"
- Modi’s Idea of India - 2
- Rohith’s despair speaks of the collective failure of the teaching community
- Mehbooba Mufti has held out CBMs for the BJP-PDP coalition
- What if we cannot poke a little innocent fun at one another
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar