Nawazuddin Siddiqui's 'Liar's Dice' in Sundance Film Festival
- AAP manifesto: Jan Lokpal, justice system party's top priority
- Congress Vadodara candidate Madhusudan Mistry arrested for vandalising Modi posters
- Modi wants EC to take action against Sonia, says Cong chief resorting to 'rabid communalism'
- Shakti Mills gangrape convicts repeat offenders, says court; may face death sentence
- Sri Lanka vs West Indies Live Cricket Score: Rain, wind, hail interrupt play
Nawazuddin Siddiqui's upcoming film 'Liar's Dice, directed by Malayalam actress Geetu Mohandas, has been selected in the competition category at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival in the US.
The film will be featured in the "World Cinema Dramatic Competition" and is the only Indian movie to be selected in the competition category after 'Peepli Live'.
Mohandas, who marks her directorial debut with this film, said: "I am thrilled about Sundance. Even though we worked in the most difficult terrain, the shooting experience was very enjoyable. Sundance is an added feather in the 'Liar's Dice' experience for all of us."
'Liar's Dice' stars Geetanjali Thapa of 'Monsoon Shootout' fame and a debutant child actor Manya besides Nawazuddin.
The film tells the story of a young mother from a tribal community who along with her 3-year-old daughter embarks on a journey leaving her native land in search of her missing husband and encounters an army deserter who decides to accompany them to their destination.
The director said her film is set against the alarming backdrop of the socio-political conditions of India where millions of labourers go missing and are considered just a number in government records.
Mohandas has previously directed a short film 'Kelkunnundo' (Are you Listening?) in 2009.
The film is shot by an ace cinematographer Rajeev Rai of 'Chandni Bar', 'Dev D', 'Gangs of Wasseypur' and 'Monsoon Shootout' fame.
Alan McAlex, who co-produced the film with Ajay G Rai for their banner, Jar Pictures, was also associated with 'Peepli Live'.
"I was the line producer on 'Peepli Live' which went in Sundance in the competition category in 2010 and it's great to be back in the prestigious festival this time as a producer of 'Liar's Dice' and competing with world's best movies," Alan said.
Sundance will take place from January 16 -26, 2014 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Real science is in small laboratories: Prof Rao
- Unguarded and unkempt, vacant govt houses cry for attention
- Won’t become a politician, will carry forward husband legacy: Savita Bhatti
- Congress screening panel okays Bansal’s name for Lok Sabha ticket
- Gujarat minister Saurabh Patel may reply to EC notice: ‘I’m related to Ambanis’
- SC clears Gujarat minister in 2005 murder case, praises govt for swift trials in riots cases