NBW against Jainís son for failing to appear before court
- Stolen passports, missing debris fuel fears of foul play
- Out of the 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by Modi: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
Faridkot Chief Judicial magistrate (CJM) of Madan Lal on Tuesday issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against Puneet Jain, son of SAD's Moga bypoll candidate Joginderpal Jain, for failing to appear before it in a criminal case against him and his family.
The court has now directed the police to arrest him and produce him before the court on March 4.
In August 2009, the police had registered an FIR against Joginderpal Jain, then Congress MLA, his wife Swarn Lata Jain, sons Puneet and Akshit and daughter Rohini for selling agriculture land for commercial and residential purposes. They were under the Punjab Apartment and Property Regulation Act-1995 in Moga district.
Following this, Jain had requested the court that his case be shifted to Faridkot as no lawyer was ready to fight his case in Moga due to the alleged influence of senior SAD leaders, "who had filed a false case against him".
The case was shifted to Faridkot in March last year and it came up for hearing on April 1. While Jain his wife and others had got bail, Puneet never appeared before the court personally, as he is settled in Canada, said sources.
The court had directed Puneet to appear before it personally on Tuesday. When he failed to do so, a non-bailable warrant was issued against him.