NCC Navel Wing Cadets win 18 medals
- Parliament has become an area of combat, says President Mukherjee in I-Day eve address
- Security heightened in all state capitals and major cities ahead of Independence Day
- Little possibility of GST rolling out from April 2016: Piyush Goyal
- Rahul disapproves of police action against OROP protesters
- 'Godwoman' Radhe Maa faces criminal case in Ludhiana for 'hurting religious sentiments'
The NCC Naval Wing contingent brought laurels to the city by winning 18 medals in the All Indian Nau Sainik Camp held at Vishakhapatnam last week. The 40-member contingent returned to Chandigarh on Monday and were welcomed by Major General PS Mader, Additional Director general of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh NCC Directorates. The Naval Wing contingent claimed medals competing against a total of 17 directorates from all over India and the contingent included 10 girl cadets and 30 boy cadets. The contingent was led by Lt Cdr ARRA Kondal, Associate NCC Officer from Bilaspur. The contingent was accompanied by MCPO Kulwinder Singh and PO Ved Prakash and GCI Sandeep from Patiala.
The team was honoured at NCC Group Headquarters, Sector 26 and was also attended by Brigadier Satish Kumar, Group Commander, Chandigarh NCC and Brigadier SJ Singh, Deputy Director General of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh NCC Directorate and Captain GM Singh (Indian Navy), Commanding Officer of Chandigarh Naval Unit.
The girls team won the title in the boat pulling competition and the cadets also won the trophy in the ship modelling competition and claimed the third spot in shooting competition. The unit claimed 18 medals which included nine gold medals, six silver medals and two bronze medals. Cadet Sween Kullar was adjudged as the best cadet among the girl cadets and Cadet Minakshi of Chandigarh was adjudged as the best shooter of the competition.