NCC teacher booked as bullet hits cadet during training
- Tanzanian student was not stripped, paraded naked: K'taka Home Minister
- National Herald case: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi move SC challenging Delhi HC order
- Budget session of Parliament to begin on Feb 23; Jaitley hopeful of GST
- Suspended UP chief engineer Yadav Singh arrested, Congress, BJP say probe links
- Will stand by Pakistan if it acts on terror: Rajnath Singh
The Deccan Gymkhana police on Monday registered an offence against a teacher of Loyala school in connection with the incident in which a cadet was hit by a bullet during a firing practice at the National Cadet Corps (NCC) Group headquarters on Senapati Bapat Road on February 1.
"An offence under Section 308 (attempt to commit culpable homicide) of the Indian Penal Code has been registered against the teacher, Amod Anil Ghanekar, who is also the NCC officer. We have not yet arrested him. There was sufficient information obtained during investigation to lodge an offence against Ghanekar. Investigation is on," said senior inspector Manohar Joshi of the Deccan Gymkhana police station.
Police said 14-year-old Parag Devendra Ingle stood up "all of a sudden" when his NCC teacher was imparting firing training to the cadets from a 0.22 mm rifle at the NCC Group headquarters.
A batch of cadets had lay down on the ground to take position for firing training. Just when Ghanekar pulled the trigger showing how to fire, Ingle suddenly stood up and the bullet hit him in the head, said the police.
- Outcome on Section 377 will depend on composition of the Constitution bench
- Inadequate staff, payment delays undermine MGNREGA in drought-hit Mahabubnagar
- ICDS, the primary scheme targeting malnutrition, needs to be broadened
- Rohith's death must focus attention on the rites of exclusion in the university
- Telescope: State in the bedroom
- The economy is best served by lowering interest rates and blocking protectionism