NCP corporator booked for extortion bid
- Nitish trying to cheat Bihar, says Modi; CM replies PM disturbed with falling Sensex, GDP
- Manipur violence: Toll up to eight, three killed in police firing
- India script history, register first series win in Sri Lanka after 22 years
- Sheena, Mikhail my children, ready to undergo DNA test: Siddharth Das
- Market loses its nerve on weak GDP, Sensex tumbles 587 points
Vikhroli Police have booked NCP corporator Haroon Khan for allegedly attempting to extort Rs 25 lakh from an engineering firm owner. A Khan aide was allegedly caught red-handed Tuesday accepting money on his behalf. Vikhroli Police said Anil Kumar Singh, who owns Vishal Engineering Private Limited and had received a private infrastructure contract from Godrej, alleged Khan demanded Rs 25 lakh and threatened to kill him if he failed to pay.
"We laid a trap Wednesday night on Godrej Company premises, where Amit Chaudhary was caught accepting bribe," said senior inspector Mahipat Indalkar of Vikhroli Police Station. Khan has been booked under IPC sections 385 and 387.
The corporator, however, denied involvement and claimed the allegations were an attempt to get even with him as he had complained against Singh a month ago.
"Singh cut some trees illegally for a project and I complained to the ward office. Police can question me and analyse my call records to see if there has been any talk between me and Singh."