NCP corporator booked for extortion
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Amnesty welcomes SC verdict on transgender
- If Modi loses in Varanasi, no one will make him PM: Arvind Kejriwal
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
An offence of extortion has been registered against Rohit alias Appa Kate, a Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) corporator from Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC), for allegedly demanding Rs 1 lakh from a scrap dealer.
Scrap dealer Kunal Satish Sethiya (22), a resident of Bopodi, lodged a complaint at Bhosari police station. Senior police inspector Sudhir Aspat confirmed that the offence of extortion has been registered against the corporator and eight others. He said the investigation is on.
Police said Sethiya had purchased 37 old buses from the state transport workshop in Dapodi. He had already taken away 25 buses and went to the workshop to take remaining 12 buses last week.
However, a few persons on two-wheelers and some in a car intercepted him and asked him to send Rs 1 lakh to Kate's office. When Sethiya refused, the men allegedly threatened him. Sethiya later reported the incident at Bhosari police station. The police registered the case against the corporator and his aides on Monday.