NCP corporator booked for extortion
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subarta Roy stays in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
An offence of extortion has been registered against Rohit alias Appa Kate, a Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) corporator from Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC), for allegedly demanding Rs 1 lakh from a scrap dealer.
Scrap dealer Kunal Satish Sethiya (22), a resident of Bopodi, lodged a complaint at Bhosari police station. Senior police inspector Sudhir Aspat confirmed that the offence of extortion has been registered against the corporator and eight others. He said the investigation is on.
Police said Sethiya had purchased 37 old buses from the state transport workshop in Dapodi. He had already taken away 25 buses and went to the workshop to take remaining 12 buses last week.
However, a few persons on two-wheelers and some in a car intercepted him and asked him to send Rs 1 lakh to Kate's office. When Sethiya refused, the men allegedly threatened him. Sethiya later reported the incident at Bhosari police station. The police registered the case against the corporator and his aides on Monday.