NCP corporator booked for extortion
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
An offence of extortion has been registered against Rohit alias Appa Kate, a Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) corporator from Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC), for allegedly demanding Rs 1 lakh from a scrap dealer.
Scrap dealer Kunal Satish Sethiya (22), a resident of Bopodi, lodged a complaint at Bhosari police station. Senior police inspector Sudhir Aspat confirmed that the offence of extortion has been registered against the corporator and eight others. He said the investigation is on.
Police said Sethiya had purchased 37 old buses from the state transport workshop in Dapodi. He had already taken away 25 buses and went to the workshop to take remaining 12 buses last week.
However, a few persons on two-wheelers and some in a car intercepted him and asked him to send Rs 1 lakh to Kate's office. When Sethiya refused, the men allegedly threatened him. Sethiya later reported the incident at Bhosari police station. The police registered the case against the corporator and his aides on Monday.