NDMA holds training programme to prepare UT for earthquakes
- Ghulam Ali's concert in Mumbai cancelled after Shiv Sena's threat
- PM Modi a sensitive person, don't judge him on social media posts: BJP on Dadri lynching
- Why President Mukherjee hit the right notes on core values of 'diversity', 'plurality' and 'tolerance'
- Barack Obama apologises for air strike on Kunduz hospital: White House
- Commercial vehicles entering Delhi to pay environmental tax: NGT
A Capacity Development Programme was conducted from November 7-9 in Chandigarh UT, to assess and evaluate the awareness and preparedness of Chandigarh Administration in the event of an earthquake. The training programme was conducted by J K Sinha, a member of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), and other technical experts from the NDMA. The Chandigarh Administration has appointed the Deputy Commissioner, Mohammed Shayin, as the Nodal Officer for Disaster Management.
The first day of the training program dealt with Incident Response System (IRS), followed by a group exercise on earthquake response, conducted by IRS Expert B B Gadnayak from NDMA.
The second day of the training programme included Table Top Exercise conducted by Brig Khanna, a mock drill expert from NDMA. The District Disaster Management Plan of Chandigarh Administration was presented by Kashish Mittal, SDM (East) which was followed by a presentation on Standard Operating Procedures of all Line Departments in the event of disaster by respective Nodal Officers.The objective was to understand the resources available at hand and enhance coordination between various departments.