NDMC set for grand inauguration of refurbished Connaught Place
- SC stays death penalty of two Delhi gang-rape convicts till March 31
- MH370 continued flying for 6 hours, could have gone towards Kazakhstan or south of Indian Ocean: Malaysian PM
- AICC spokesman lashes out against PM's silence and negative publicity
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
- Eyes on UP prize, Narendra Modi set for Varanasi
A grand inauguration of refurbished Connaught Place besides a series of events such as shopping carnival and food festival will mark the centenary celebrations of NDMC, beginning from Monday.
After missing several deadlines, New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) will finally be inaugurating the renovated Connaught Place on December 30.
"Besides showcasing a refurbished Connaught Place, one of the country's premier shopping centres, there will be something or the other for everyone, of all age groups," said NDMC Chairperson Jalaj Shrivastava.
Events including a shopping carnival, food festival and a concert will keep the heart of the city busy and happening.
NDMC along with the New Delhi Traders Association (NDTA) will hold a two-week long shopping festival starting from tomorrow. "There will be bumper offers and attractive discounts," Srivastava said.
A film festival will be held till December 27 at the NDMC Convention Centre, the NDMC chairperson said, adding, a food festival is also being organised from December 23 to 29 which will bring cuisines from across the country under one roof.
Other events include a nomadic fair from December 23 to 29, vintage car rally on December 29 which will be followed by a kite festival two days later.
There will be a musical event by "Ability Unlimited" and "Chand Nizami" on January 2 and 3.
Connaught Place's inauguration is most likely to be celebrated with performances by renowned singers and artistes.
According to an NDMC official, talks are on to rope in sufi singer Kailash Kher for the event.
The Connaught Place redevelopment project, which has missed several deadlines till now, is almost complete with minor works such as cabling and some basic maintenance related to façade which will be completed in the next few days.
Even though the civic agency says that it has taken over the work from Engineers India Limited (EIL), consultant for the project, some officials claim that the company is still finishing the last cabling work in the area.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy