Need better understanding of poverty: Subbarao
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions
- Nandan Nilekani, Mohammad Kaif in Congressâs first list for 194 seats
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Naidu
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Kejriwal joins list of VIPs with âZâ category security
Ahead of the monetary policy review on January 29, RBI Governor D Subbarao on Saturday spoke of poverty and high food inflation in remarks interpreted as dashing hopes of a rate cut later this month.
He said lower segments of the society, which spend a greater proportion of their budgets on food, were more concerned about high food inflation.
"We need to improve our understanding of the poor and poverty," Subbarao said in his introductory remarks at the first 'Suresh Tendulkar Memorial Lecture' here. RBI has kept key interest rates unchanged since April, 2012 .
- Nilekani gets Cong nod for B’lore South
- Independents, smaller parties throng Ralegan Siddhi for Hazare’s support
- 12 MPs retained as BJP announces first state list
- Modi’s Chai pe Charcha part II a women’s day out
- Thank God I am not killed in encounter, says Kejriwal
- Lok Sabha poll fever rules Women’s Day celebrations