Need to strengthen laws: BJP
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
Condoling the death of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim, top BJP leaders on Saturday said there was an urgent need to strengthen the laws against crime against women and advocated introspection on part of society to effectively tackle this menace.
"Her death has shaken the conscience of the nation. We must wake up and make India safe for daughters," Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj said in a statement.
Her counter part in Rajya Sabha Aruna Jaitley sought to highlight the importance of introspection on part of society as well.
"All our heads must hang in shame today that a young girl has fallen a victim to brutal and beastly behaviour. She has been sacrificed to an environment in which women are not safe" Jaitley said, highlighting that "not one of the six arrested had the conscience to say 'stop it'."
Jaitley also suggested strengthening of judicial process to tackle the menace. "We need to create an environment in India where no woman is treated in this manner. You need a legal regime, a quick disposal judicial process, quick investigative process and above all an alert and conscious society that does not allow such incidents to pass away as they have passed," he said.