Negotiations on with Dassault for fighters jets: IAF chief
- Elections 2014 Live: TMC workers beat up poll officials in Bengal; Rahul attacks Modi over Adani link
- Narendra Modi slams Mamata Banerjee, says she is playing vote bank politics
- #WhyiVoted: Let's hear it from India
- Jet flight out of contact for 30 mins, causes panic, 2 pilots grounded
- Narendra Modi mentions wife Jashodaben in poll affidavit for first time
The Indian Air Force is negotiating with French aviation major Dassault Aviation's Rafale for 126 medium fighter jets in a multi-billion dollar deal, Chief of Air Staff of IAF, Air Chief Marshall N A K Browne said on Thursday.
The deal suffered a "setback" due to the death of an official, who handled the negotiation, in September. Now a new Joint Secretary has joined last week to take the negotiations forward, Browne told reporters in Shillong.
"They have had meetings as of this time and I am hopeful that by early next year we should be able to wrap this case for the Air Force," Browne said after rounding up his two-day farewell visit to the headquarter of the Eastern Air Command where he also chaired a Commanders' conference.
Browne said the 'Rafale' are expected to be inducted into the force by 2017, three years approximately after the contract is signed.
'Rafale' outclassed the Euro-fighter 'Typhoon' to bag the deal in India after officials found that its commercial bid was lower than 'Typhoon'.
According to the Request for Proposal (RFP) of the IAF, 18 aircraft will be brought in the next three years while the remaining aircraft is likely to be manufactured at HAL facilities at Bangalore, defence sources said.
Military aviation majors from across the globe – the Russia's MIG-35, USA's F-16 Falcon (Lockheed Martin), F-18 Hornet (Boeing), Swedish 'Saab Gripen', European EADS Euro-Fighter 'Typhoon' and 'Rafale'- competed in the bid to supply 126 Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi