Nelson Mandela's health 'perilous': Leaked court papers
- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
Nelson Mandela is in a "perilous" condition on life support in hospital, leaked court documents showed today. The bleak assessment of the anti-apartheid icon's health came in papers submitted by his relatives on June 28 as part of legal efforts to retrieve the remains of three of Mandela's children.
"The anticipation of his impending death is based on real and substantial grounds. The applicants are desirous of burying their father and committing him to the earth in which his descendants' remains lie," according to court papers quoted by media. "Nelson Mandela's health is perilous. (An) affidavit will be provided from physicians that he is assisted in breathing by a life support machine," it added.
Mandela, 94, has been in intensive care in a hospital in Pretoria since June 8 when he was admitted with a recurring lung infection. The presidency has said his condition is "critical but stable" although it has released few details of his illness. Mandela led the struggle against white-minority rule in South Africa and became the country's first black president after multiracial elections in 1994, following 27 years in prison.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness