- Rahul mocks Modi, says his Gujarat development model is a toffee model
- Under fire over Baru's revelation, Congress retorts by calling 'Vajpayee the weakest PM India ever had'
- Narendra Modi, party not separate, no infighting: BJP on Joshi's remarks
- BJP dancing to the tune of RSS; Lok Sabha elections battle between two completely different ideologies, says Sonia Gandhi
- Elections 2014 Live: BJP workers embarrass Murli Joshi by shouting pro-Modi slogans
Instead of exerting diplomatic pressure on Pakistan to seek a probe into the beheading of the solider,the editorial says the issue is being cynically exploited to whip up an emotional frenzy with BJP leader Sushma Swaraj calling for ten Pakistani heads for one Indian head. "The Congress has always seen great merit in the politics of jingoism. War clouds provide the best cover to legitimise unpalatable decisions in the name of national security. Following a steep hike in railway fares, the government has already taken this opportunity to deregulate diesel prices..."
The editorial in CPI journal New Age focuses on malnutrition and links it with the food security bill, pending in Parliament. It says the government has turned down almost all the positive suggestions made by the the NAC and has continuously refused to opt for a universal PDS.
The categories enlisted for providing subsidised foodgrains are also faulty. It claims government departments continuously eliminate eligible people from the BPL list to show their efforts at eradicating poverty have succeeded.
"Food security is directly related with the malnutrition. The poorer sections of our society are not able to have even two meals a day. According to government's own findings, about 78 per cent of Indians are not able to spend Rs 20 a day. In such a situation, talking about providing nutritional meal to the children will be a hoax," the editorial concludes.
Compiled by Manoj C.G.
- Sonia, Rahul must come clean on issues raised in the books:BJP
- Security men at every step, Shinde keeps ‘safe distance’ from voters, debunks charges
- In Beed, Modi factor dents Munde’s goodwill among Muslims
- Ambareesh campaigns for Nilekani
- Raids on Bellary moneylender yield Rs 8.74 crore cash
- MP faces Amreli villagers’ ire in campaign