Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose's speech inspired me to draft mine: Pranab Mukherjee
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- Watch video: Baba Ramdev caught on camera discussing money with BJP candidate
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Protests against Kejriwal in Varanasi; Modi's rally stage collapses due to rain
President Pranab Mukherjee today said Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose's 1938-speech as Congress President had inspired him to draft his own acceptance speech on becoming the head of state.
"When I drafted my acceptance speech on being elected as the President of the Republic -- and that is one speech which I had to draft myself...what struck me first... please let me go through the address of Subhas Chandra Bose as Congress President. And there I got the inspiration," Mukherjee said at a function to commemorate Netaji's 116th birth anniversary.
Mukherjee credited several important features of our constitutional system as part of Bose's vision. He said the Directive Principles of State Policy, which are now a part of our Constitution and the concept of Five-Year plans, were a part of the freedom fighter's vision for governance of India after Independence.
"Subhash Chandra Bose gave the clarion call and laid the basic foundation about the responsibilities and duties of independent India 10 years before the actual liberation. The concept of planning, the directive principles of the state, planned economic development...," he said.
Reminiscing his association with Netaji, Mukherjee said, "I had the privilege of working with him in close cooperation with this very son of Bengal".
He called Netaji the real icon of India, particularly to the younger generation.
Mukherjee also outlined the influence of Swami Vivekananda, who's 150th birth anniversary is also being celebrated this year, on the life of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
"The tremendous influence which Swami Vivekananda had on Netaji are well researched and well documented. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose himself wrote that at the early age of 15 when Swami Vivekananda entered into his life. Even in the height of the war in Singapore, whenever Netaji had time he used to visit Ramkrishna Mission here and spent considerable time in meditation," he said.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer