New Archbishop of Delhi named

Couto

Pope Benedict XVI on Friday announced that Bishop Anil Jose Tomas Couto of Jalandhar will be the new Archbishop of Delhi. The announcement was made simultaneously in Rome and at the archdiocesan headquarters in Delhi.

In a statement, Dominic Emmanuel SVD, director and spokesperson of the Delhi Catholic Archdiocese, said the \ announcement came after the resignation of Archbishop Vincent M Concessao was accepted.

Archbishop Concessao had submitted his resignation when he turned 75 in September 2010, a rule followed by every archbishop or bishop.

Born in Goa, the 58-year-old Anil Jose Tomas Couto was appointed auxiliary bishop of Delhi on January 17, 2001 and was ordained a bishop on March 11 that year. He served as the auxiliary bishop in the Delhi archdiocese along with Archbishop Concessao till he was transferred as the Bishop of Jalandhar in February 2007. He had been heading the diocese of Jalandhar since then.

"I will continue to work with the vision of Archbishop Concessao which was more clearly outlined in the Archdiocesan Synod in 2002, taking into consideration the current social, religious, economic situation and other realities around us," said archbishop-elect Anil Couto.

Archbishop Concessao said: "We are very happy to have our own from the diocese back in the Archdiocese. Since he knows the situation of Archdiocese, he would be the most ideal person to render the best possible services to the Archdiocese."

The archbishop-elect is expected to take charge on January 20, 2013.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views expressed in comments published on indianexpress.com are those of the comment writer's alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of The Indian Express Group or its staff. Comments are automatically posted live; however, indianexpress.com reserves the right to take it down at any time. We also reserve the right not to publish comments that are abusive, obscene, inflammatory, derogatory or defamatory.