New Chief Justice of Calcutta HC
Justice Arun Kumar Mishra took over as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court on Friday. Governor M K Narayanan administered the oath of office to Justice Mishra, who was earlier the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was present during the function at the Chief Justice's court room. The function was also attended by Assembly Speaker Biman Banerjee, Leader of Opposition Suryakanta Mishra, state Finance Minister Amit Mitra and Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya.
In his address, Justice Mishra said he would strive to ensure speedy disposal of cases to reduce pendancy. He said 3.6 lakh cases were pending before the high court and over 26 lakh in the lower courts in West Bengal.
- India lacks institutional mechanisms to deal with death of firms and the failure of banks
- Do Bob Dylan’s lyrics read as poems? The fan’s dilemma
- Let those with real stakes decide whether GM mustard should be planted or not
- Both community and the state failed Aradhana Samdariya
- Next door Nepal: The vulnerability of Dahal
- Across the aisle: If we kill dissent, we will kill liberty