New Chief Justice of Calcutta HC
- Dengue: Toll reaches 16 as two more girls die; over 2,000 tested positive
- Bihar polls: After quitting Grand Alliance, Mulayam forms Third Front
- US Federal funds rate remains unchanged, defers to global economic volatility
- Bharti gets relief from arrest as HC reserves order on anticipatory bail
- No ban on meat in Maharashtra as SC rejects plea against Bombay HC's order
Justice Arun Kumar Mishra took over as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court on Friday. Governor M K Narayanan administered the oath of office to Justice Mishra, who was earlier the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was present during the function at the Chief Justice's court room. The function was also attended by Assembly Speaker Biman Banerjee, Leader of Opposition Suryakanta Mishra, state Finance Minister Amit Mitra and Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya.
In his address, Justice Mishra said he would strive to ensure speedy disposal of cases to reduce pendancy. He said 3.6 lakh cases were pending before the high court and over 26 lakh in the lower courts in West Bengal.