New Chief Justice of Calcutta HC
- Manmohan Singh a 'person of integrity, probity', says Sonia
- Now, a sting in Kejriwal’s tale: Colleague taped him saying let’s break Cong
- Dimapur mob lynching: Police say it's rape, Naga govt says could be consensual sex
- Aamir Khan: I apologise if 'PK' has hurt sentiments
- The AAP exchange, letter for letter
Justice Arun Kumar Mishra took over as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court on Friday. Governor M K Narayanan administered the oath of office to Justice Mishra, who was earlier the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was present during the function at the Chief Justice's court room. The function was also attended by Assembly Speaker Biman Banerjee, Leader of Opposition Suryakanta Mishra, state Finance Minister Amit Mitra and Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya.
In his address, Justice Mishra said he would strive to ensure speedy disposal of cases to reduce pendancy. He said 3.6 lakh cases were pending before the high court and over 26 lakh in the lower courts in West Bengal.
"I will strive to ensure speedy disposal of cases to bring down the number of cases pending before the courts. My endeavour will be to work tirelessly for the interest of common man. I will leave no stone unturned to ensure justice to the people," he said.