New Chief Justice of Calcutta HC
- N-Korea says rocket launch a success, Kwangmyong 4 placed into orbit
- Kerala solar scam: Saritha Nair, the woman at the centre of the scandal
- Beef license for foreigners? Haryana govt may soon issue special permits
- As US lifts sanctions, Iran wants India to pay oil dues in euros
- Mumbai set to get India’s first international arbitration centre
Justice Arun Kumar Mishra took over as the new Chief Justice of Calcutta High Court on Friday. Governor M K Narayanan administered the oath of office to Justice Mishra, who was earlier the Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was present during the function at the Chief Justice's court room. The function was also attended by Assembly Speaker Biman Banerjee, Leader of Opposition Suryakanta Mishra, state Finance Minister Amit Mitra and Law Minister Chandrima Bhattacharya.
In his address, Justice Mishra said he would strive to ensure speedy disposal of cases to reduce pendancy. He said 3.6 lakh cases were pending before the high court and over 26 lakh in the lower courts in West Bengal.
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress
- Strategies anchored in incubators fail to foster entrepreneurship
- Existing regime of film censorship is unconstitutional
- Section 377: A right to love
- PM Oli has been lucky, but his political survival looks uncertain
- Across the aisle- MGNREGA: Making a meal of words