New India Assurance to pay Rs 1.03 cr compensation to 2 road mishap victims' families
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
The families of a man and his cousin, who died in a road mishap involving a rashly-driven truck in Uttar Pradesh three years ago, have been awarded a total compensation of over Rs 1.03 crore by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
The MACT directed the New India Assurance Company Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay a sum of Rs 1,03,94,781 as compensation out of which Rs 62,77,120 would be given to the wife, two children and parents of deceased Jitender Singh Negi and Rs 41,17,661 to the wife, three children and mother of deceased Virender Singh Negi.
"As such, in view of the testimony of petitioners and certified copies of criminal records produced, no doubt is left in respect of the two deceased (Jitender and Virender) having fatal injuries in road accident on September 11, 2009 due to rash and negligent driving of the truck by its driver," MACT Presiding Officer S C Malik said.
The tribunal considered the statement of the victims' families and also of an eye witness and said they have proved the negligence of truck driver Wali Ram.
The families of 35-year-old Jitender and 54-year-old Virender told the tribunal that on September 11, 2009, the two cousins were going to their work on their motorcycle.
The motorcycle was being driven by Virender and while Jitender was travelling as a pillion rider. As they crossed Hindon bridge in Uttar Pradesh, a rashly driven truck hit them from behind, the families said.
As a result, both the cousins fell from the motorcycle and received grievous injuries and were taken to a hospital where they died after some time.
Jitender's wife, a resident of Alipur here, said her husband was in a government job and was earning over Rs 23,000 per month along with other perks. Kishan Ganj resident Virender was working as a driver in Northern Railway and was earning over Rs 41,000 per month.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'