New Year: 4 teams of women cops to keep hawk eye on trouble-makers
- Intolerance: Sonia Gandhi to lead Congress march to Rashtrapati Bhawan
- Modi speaks to Nepal PM, expresses 'shock' over killing of Indian
- PM Modi invokes 1984 riots, says Congress can't lecture us on tolerance
- Black money: HSBC whistleblower offers to 'cooperate' with India
- Can't rule out terror plot in Russian plane crash: US intelligence chief
To avoid any untoward incident during New Year celebrations on Monday, the Pune police have constituted four teams of women personnel to patrol all four zones. The arrangement will be in addition to the usual police deployment. Two women trained in martial arts will also accompany the teams during the night vigil, police commissioner Gulabrao Pol said on Sunday.
Pol was addressing the media after he briefed police officers on the preparedness for December 31. "The entire force of 8,500 personnel will be on alert. As many as 5,500 personnel, including police station staffers and crime branch and traffic control branch personnel, will be on duty during the night. Fixed point security has been deployed at all the vital spots in the city," said Pol.
He said offences would be registered and arrests made if required.
"To prevent crime against women, women cops will patrol the sensitive areas in all the four zones."
Inspector Smita Jadhav of women's grievances redressal cell, who is heading one of the teams, said, "The team wil comprise a police inspector, four women staffers and a male constable. The women trained in the martial arts will definitely be of great 'help' at places where we spot any untoward incidents."
Vishwas Pandhare, deputy commissioner of police (traffic control branch), said, "Our staffers will be monitoring rash drivers. As many as 50 breath-analyser units have deposited with our teams."
- India-Africa summit opened up space to reinvent an old relationship
- To reform tax policy, government must think about it more clearly
- Over the barrel: The dilution of Brand India
- Raja-Mandala: Why Delhi must not be at sea
- Next Door Nepal: Advantage Beijing
- PM Modi admired globally, political opponents affecting India's image