New Year's Celebrations: Asian nations giving enthusiastic welcome to 2013
- Kashmir floods LIVE: Many feared dead as houses collapse in Budgam district
- ‘Mukhyamantri ka saala’ is a story of growth in Chhattisgarh
- AAP removes Ramdas as Lokpal, Bhushan from disciplinary panel
- Ahmed Patel, seen and heard like never before
- Retd Lt Gen says will write to Chief about Army role in Hashimpura
A government scare tactic, which involved doctors displaying brutal-looking surgical scalpels used for amputations of firecracker blast victims, has not fully worked in the past so health officials came up with a novel idea: Go Gangnam style.
A government health official, Eric Tayag, donned the splashy outfit of South Korean viral star PSY and danced to the tune of his Youtube-hit "Gangnam Style'' video while preaching against the use of illegal firecrackers on TV, in schools and in public arenas.
"The campaign has become viral,'' Tayag said. "We've asked kids and adults to stay away from big firecrackers and just dance the Gangnam and they're doing it.''
The number of firecracker injuries has gone down since the campaign was launched early this month.