New Year's Celebrations: Asian nations giving enthusiastic welcome to 2013
- My government will not be vindictive: Narendra Modi on Robert Vadra
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- Rahul Gandhi tells Narendra Modi: 'Ullu' banana band karo
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score: Mumbai Indians take on KKR in opener
A government scare tactic, which involved doctors displaying brutal-looking surgical scalpels used for amputations of firecracker blast victims, has not fully worked in the past so health officials came up with a novel idea: Go Gangnam style.
A government health official, Eric Tayag, donned the splashy outfit of South Korean viral star PSY and danced to the tune of his Youtube-hit "Gangnam Style'' video while preaching against the use of illegal firecrackers on TV, in schools and in public arenas.
"The campaign has become viral,'' Tayag said. "We've asked kids and adults to stay away from big firecrackers and just dance the Gangnam and they're doing it.''
The number of firecracker injuries has gone down since the campaign was launched early this month.