New Zealand won't sign 'Kyoto 2' climate treaty
New Zealand says it won't sign on for a second stage of the Kyoto Protocol climate treaty.
The announcement came Friday soon after Australia said it would commit to "Kyoto 2.''
The treaty aims to curb international greenhouse gas emissions through binding national commitments. But some question its effectiveness after many of the world's biggest polluters, including the U.S. and China, didn't sign on.
- Across the aisle: Misadventures of the Modi government
- The absence of ‘parivartan’ in political culture
- Why was Digvijaya Singh spotted at the VHP office?
- Out of my mind: A fractured politics
- As army’s jihadist house of cards unravels, it is causing a blowback within Pakistan
- As the focus shifts to fixing Brazil economy, its political problems are set to endure