NGO moves court over ban on visitors at Satara tomb
- Essar Leaks: SC issues notices to Essar Group and Centre on PIL seeking court-monitored probe
- Karnataka CM announces CBI probe into death of IAS officer DK Ravi
- Hashimpura massacre: 10 freed still in UP Police
- Jaitley, Rajan paper over the cracks, minister says in regular, frank talks
- Lee Kuan Yew, founder of modern Singapore, passes away at 91
Maharashtra Lokarpan, an NGO, has filed a PIL challenging a ban on visits to the tomb of Mughal general Afzal Khan at the Pratapgarh fort in Satara district.
The state had banned people from visiting the tomb after protests by Hindu right wing organisations, including the VHP. The tomb was said to have been built in 1659, when Shivaji killed Khan in a battle. It was later converted into Dargah Hazrat Afzal Khan.
According to petitioners, the ban on visiting the site is "unreasonable". The petition also demands that security for the tomb be increased.