NGO to honour women on Lohri
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
The Malwa Sabhacharak Manch will organise its 20th Lohri Mela between January 9 and 11 at Dana Mandi. The organisation has decided to hand Rs 5,100 to 21 new born girls as part of the Lohri celebrations.
Apart from this, the manch will honour women, who have achieved new heights in their respective fields. Sandeep Riat, a businesswomen, will be given the Satpal Mittal Udyog Vikas entrepreneur award while folk singer Satwinder Bitti will get the Jagmohan Kaur Yaadgari Sangeet award.
Pany Sandhu, an US based NRI who runs a Punjabi channel there, will be conferred the Shaheed Kartar Singh Sarabha Media award. The other women to be honoured include singer Sarabjeet Kaur Kokewali, Sonika Malhotra Kandhari from MBD group and Jagwinder Kaur Virk - a Canada-based NRI.
K K Bawa, chairman of the Manch, said that on January 9 a cycle march will be taken out against female foeticide while on January 10, a seminar will be conducted. The mela celebrations will be on till January 11. The manch tries to create awareness regarding equality between boys and girls, he added. Jagdev Singh Jassowal, Pawan Dewan and a few others will also be present in this mela.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties