NGO to honour women on Lohri
- Tera Gurdip bach gaya: Indian on death row in Indonesia tells wife in phone call
- Pune building collapses, at least nine dead
- Mehbooba: Sacrifice of children won’t go waste; securitymen had no idea they were targeting Burhan
- 'Voodoo statistics!' P Chidambaram rejects Arun Jaitley's inflation remarks
- Senior Congress leader Capt Ajay Yadav to quit party
The Malwa Sabhacharak Manch will organise its 20th Lohri Mela between January 9 and 11 at Dana Mandi. The organisation has decided to hand Rs 5,100 to 21 new born girls as part of the Lohri celebrations.
Apart from this, the manch will honour women, who have achieved new heights in their respective fields. Sandeep Riat, a businesswomen, will be given the Satpal Mittal Udyog Vikas entrepreneur award while folk singer Satwinder Bitti will get the Jagmohan Kaur Yaadgari Sangeet award.
Pany Sandhu, an US based NRI who runs a Punjabi channel there, will be conferred the Shaheed Kartar Singh Sarabha Media award. The other women to be honoured include singer Sarabjeet Kaur Kokewali, Sonika Malhotra Kandhari from MBD group and Jagwinder Kaur Virk - a Canada-based NRI.
- The amended act legalises child labour while claiming to do the opposite
- The concept of private members’ bill is central to a deliberative democracy
- Mahasweta Devi drew imaginary landscapes to narrate stories of the oppressed
- With the latest figures on industrial output, the case for a stimulus is pressing
- An open letter to new students entering Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Irom Sharmila calling off her fast against the AFSPA reflects the state’s failure to engage