NGO to honour women on Lohri
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi breaks silence, says petty statements by 'BJP well wishers deviating poll campaign'
- Would prefer to go to Pakistan than stop criticising Narendra Modi: Omar Abdullah
- Centre calls off trip over China no to Arunachal youth
- JuD chief Hafiz Saeed: Hindus safe in Pakistan unlike Muslims in Gujarat
- In this TN seat, Cong, BJP and AAP take centrestage
The Malwa Sabhacharak Manch will organise its 20th Lohri Mela between January 9 and 11 at Dana Mandi. The organisation has decided to hand Rs 5,100 to 21 new born girls as part of the Lohri celebrations.
Apart from this, the manch will honour women, who have achieved new heights in their respective fields. Sandeep Riat, a businesswomen, will be given the Satpal Mittal Udyog Vikas entrepreneur award while folk singer Satwinder Bitti will get the Jagmohan Kaur Yaadgari Sangeet award.
Pany Sandhu, an US based NRI who runs a Punjabi channel there, will be conferred the Shaheed Kartar Singh Sarabha Media award. The other women to be honoured include singer Sarabjeet Kaur Kokewali, Sonika Malhotra Kandhari from MBD group and Jagwinder Kaur Virk - a Canada-based NRI.
K K Bawa, chairman of the Manch, said that on January 9 a cycle march will be taken out against female foeticide while on January 10, a seminar will be conducted. The mela celebrations will be on till January 11. The manch tries to create awareness regarding equality between boys and girls, he added. Jagdev Singh Jassowal, Pawan Dewan and a few others will also be present in this mela.
- Five months after gruesome ATM attack, accused still at large
- Ex-syndicate member of Bangalore University held in marks-for-cash scam
- Accused get bail as police fail to file chargesheet
- ‘Naxals collected info on trucks carrying explosives from Khadki to Ahmednagar’
- A tale of two villages: Ramayan and Mahabharat
- UP CM tears into Modi bastion on first visit to Gujarat, says Third Front ready