NIA arrests ‘IM man’
- LIVE: Rahul Gandhi returns to Delhi from sabbatical
- The two critical by-poll results which were overlooked
- 80 crore youth, 160 crore strong hands. What can we not achieve?
- Corporate war between media house, operator confounding net neutrality debate: TRAI chief Rahul Khullar
- Military institute student to son of ex-judge, Islamic State taps Dhaka gen-next
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Tuesday arrested an alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative, Aftab Alam alias Farooq, 25, who is reportedly an IED expert.
Farooq, who was arrested by the Delhi Police's special cell in December 2011, was lodged in Tihar Jail. The NIA arrested him after Danish Ansari, another IM operative, reportedly said Farooq trained recruits in assembling bombs.
According to NIA, Farooq was recruited by Yasin Bhatkal in 2009, after the two met at a madrasa in Patna. A resident of Purnea in Bihar, Farooq later moved to Darbhanga. Farooq was also alleged to be involved in 2010 Chinnaswamy stadium blasts along with Yasin.
The NIA sought his remand for 10 days. Farooq will be taken to Darbhanga to identify locations where the group trained recruits. He will also be confronted with Danish.