NIA arrests ‘IM man’
- AAP hands over Rs 10 lakh to family of Gajendra Singh, family demands memorial, jobs
- UP tells SC that prosecution on boy for post against Azam Khan will continue
- Uttarakhand CM says Rahul Kedarnath trek shows the way for Char Dham pilgrims
- At protest on net neutrality, Congress asks Centre to stop TRAI move
- Latest drone deaths a reminder of risk of 'deadly mistakes'
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Tuesday arrested an alleged Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative, Aftab Alam alias Farooq, 25, who is reportedly an IED expert.
Farooq, who was arrested by the Delhi Police's special cell in December 2011, was lodged in Tihar Jail. The NIA arrested him after Danish Ansari, another IM operative, reportedly said Farooq trained recruits in assembling bombs.
According to NIA, Farooq was recruited by Yasin Bhatkal in 2009, after the two met at a madrasa in Patna. A resident of Purnea in Bihar, Farooq later moved to Darbhanga. Farooq was also alleged to be involved in 2010 Chinnaswamy stadium blasts along with Yasin.
The NIA sought his remand for 10 days. Farooq will be taken to Darbhanga to identify locations where the group trained recruits. He will also be confronted with Danish.