NIA detains alleged planter of 2006 Malegaon bombs
- Hang me if I have committed crime, no apology: Narendra Modi
- Fifth phase of Lok Sabha elections in 121 seats on Thursday
- April 16 campaign roundup: Narendra Modi in firing line of Gandhis
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score: KKR score 163/5 against MI
A 27-year-old man, who is alleged to have planted bombs in Malegaon in 2006, has been detained by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) at Hathod near Indore in Madhya Pradesh.
Manohar Kumar was picked up by NIA late Friday evening and was being questioned. He is likely to be arrested and produced before the special NIA court in Mumbai, said officials.
According to NIA, Kumar is believed to have procured the explosives and transported them before the bombs were assembled. His name cropped up during the questioning of another suspect in 2006 Malegaon blasts, Rajendra Chaudhary who was initially arrested by NIA in connection with the 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts.
Sources said Choudhary has also spilled the names of others who were behind the planning and execution of the 2006 Malegaon blasts.
The serial blasts at Malegaon on September 8, 2006 led to the death of more than 30 persons and injury to 200 persons. Maharashtra ATS first blamed the blasts as the handiwork of banned SIMI workers and arrested nine persons. But after the disclosure by Swami Aseemanand, seven persons were granted bail last year. NIA started re-investigation in 2011.
Meanwhile, a special MCOCA court on Friday allowed an application filed by the NIA seeking Chaudhary's transfer to Mumbai. He will be produced in a Mumbai court as NIA has sought to interrogate him in connection with the 2006 Malegaon blasts. (With ENS Mumbai)