NIA: PoK man planted bomb outside HC
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, RR vs SRH: RR struggle in modest chase against SRH
More than a year after a powerful explosion outside the Delhi High Court killed 17 people and injured several others, National Investigation Agency (NIA) has named a PoK national, Gulam Sarwar alias Abu Bilal alias Raju, as the man who planted the bomb outside Gate 5 of the court premises. Until now, the probe blamed Kashmiri youths owing allegiance to Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) as those responsible for the attack.
The agency recently announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh for information on Sarwar. A Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) operative, 33-year-old Sarwar is also one of the main accused in the May 2011 Udhampur car blast, in which one person was killed and 10, including a senior Army officer, were injured.
The NIA will soon file a supplementary chargesheet against Sarwar and others before a Delhi court.
According to NIA, soon after the Udhampur car blast, Sarwar escaped to Kishtwar due to mounting pressure of security forces. It is alleged that in Kishtwar, Sarwar met HM divisional commander Jehangir Saroori and Amir Kamal who involved him in their plans to carry out attacks in Delhi.
The NIA claimed Sarwar married a girl from Jammu.
Officials said Wasim Akram Malik and his brother Junaid were also part of the plan. Amir Kamal was recently killed in an encounter in J&K and Wasim is behind bars.
In March this year, the NIA filed a chargesheet against six persons — including Wasim, a medical student, his brother Junaid, Amir Kamal (dead), Amir Abbas Dev, Abid Hussain (on bail) and Shakir Hussain Sheikh.
"Since Sarwar was aware of the topography of Delhi, the HM sent him to conduct a recce and plant the explosives," a senior NIA officer said. Sarwar first visited Delhi in April 2011, to buy a Maruti car, which was used in Udhampur blast, officials said.
From the investigations so far, it has been established that Sarwar was last seen in Nagrota, Jammu. He has half a dozen aliases, including Raju.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer