Night Market: VMC plans puppet, magic shows to pull crowd
- Live: Hurriyat hardliner Masarat Alam's release rocks Parliament, Cong seeks PM's statement
- Dimapur lynching: On social media, first ‘rape’, then ‘Bangladesh man’
- Seconds before being stabbed, Indian techie called husband to say she was being followed
- Land acquisition debate: ‘They gave us a window, then went back to 1894’
- Beef ban may spell doom for Dharavi leather trade
Besides being an exclusive food and beverages zone, the night market of Vadodara Municipal Corporation (VMC) is likely to be a space for amusement and entertainment. The civic body has drawn up a plan to hire agencies for organising entertainment programmes every night on the premises of the market to pull crowds to the place near VUDA circle in Karelibaug.
After finishing auction of the stalls on January 16, the VMC has now invited applications from organisations to hold entertainment shows and events.
"The idea is to draw more people to the market. Organisation which would be selected for the work would have to come up with new programmes every night. For example, there can be puppet shows, shows by magicians, stand up comedy shows, or programmes of dance. There can be fun and entertainment games for children as well," land and estate (commercial) officer Suresh Tuver told The Indian Express on Monday.
The civic body issued an advertisement inviting applications from organisations on Saturday. The last date of submitting applications is January 31. "While organisations with experience of having organised programmes for government or semi-government organisations will be given preference, others can also apply," Tuver further said.
However, the selected agency would not be allowed to charge any ticket from audience.The entertainment programmes is seen as a move to add novelty to the place and attract more people there.