Nine get life for murder in Junagadh
- PM Modi should resign if he can't ask four ministers to step down: Congress
- Lalit Modi names 2 Indian, 1 West Indian cricketer who were bribed
- Kerala bar bribery case: Relief for Mani as anti-corruption body decides against chargesheet
- No charging check-in baggage: Government on budget airlines' move
- Delhi court allows TERI chief R K Pachauri to travel to USA
A Court in Gujarat's Junagadh district Tuesday awarded life imprisonment to nine persons in a 2009 murder case.
District and Sessions Court Judge G M Patel also slapped a fine of Rs 1,500 each on all the convicts, who were found guilty of murdering one Pujabhai Kalabhai Ahir, a resident of Bhindora village in Manavadar taluka.
Ahir was killed in on May 14, 2009, during election to Bhindora village panchayat, said N D Mori, public prosecutor in the case.
Police had arrested nine persons, all hailing from the same village, in connection with the murder and later filed chargesheet against them, said Mori.
The accused were found guilty under IPC Sections 302 (murder), 149 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting) and other sections.