Nine get life for murder in Junagadh
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
A Court in Gujarat's Junagadh district Tuesday awarded life imprisonment to nine persons in a 2009 murder case.
District and Sessions Court Judge G M Patel also slapped a fine of Rs 1,500 each on all the convicts, who were found guilty of murdering one Pujabhai Kalabhai Ahir, a resident of Bhindora village in Manavadar taluka.
Ahir was killed in on May 14, 2009, during election to Bhindora village panchayat, said N D Mori, public prosecutor in the case.
Police had arrested nine persons, all hailing from the same village, in connection with the murder and later filed chargesheet against them, said Mori.
The accused were found guilty under IPC Sections 302 (murder), 149 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting) and other sections.