Nine-year-old killed in leopard attack
- Sheila Dikshit appointed Kerala Governor; Congress-RJD pact likely today
- For âcheeringâ Pakistan in India match, university in Meerut suspends 67 Kashmiri students
- You told us go to hell, says Supreme Court, sends Subrata Roy to jail
- Attacker, victim: 2 faces of Gujarat riots come together for âHindu-Muslimâ unity
- UP kidsâ killer disease spread through lice, expert panel finds
In the fourth leopard attack in the past few month at the periphery of Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP), a nine-year-old boy was mauled to death in Goregaon's Aarey Milk Colony on Saturday.
The incident took place when the victim, Saurabh Yadav went out of his house in Adarsh Nagar along with a friend to attend to nature's call nearby.
While Saurabh's friend managed to escape and alert the locals, the leopard attacked Saurabh and dragged him by his throat, officials said.
After searching for over two hours, Forest and police officials found Saurabh's body in the jungle, a few kilometres away from his house.
The victim's father is an autorickshaw driver and his family hails from Uttar Pradesh, said a police officer.
Senior inspector Uttam More of Aarey Colony police station said, "A case of accidental death has been registered. This area has become highly sensitive as many leopard attacks have occurred in the past few months."
Meanwhile, locals complained that despite repeated requests to install a fence between Adarsh Nagar and SGNP, forest department officials have not taken any action.