Nitish Kumar is PM material: Shatrughan Sinha
- Mali hostage crisis ends as security forces gun down militants; 27 killed
- Sheena Bora case: Peter charged with murder, criminal conspiracy
- Nitish Kumar sworn in as Bihar Chief Minister; Lalu's sons in Cabinet
- UP keeps its distance from Bihar: Why Mulayam, Akhilesh didn't attend Nitish swearing-in
- Madras HC stays cancellation of Greenpeace India registration
Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha today dubbed Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar as "Prime Ministerial material" and said that he wanted to build bridges between the former partners BJP and the JD(U).
"Nitish Kumar is PM material. He is among the select few good and successful chief ministers in the country today," Sinha, the BJP Lok Sabha member from Patna Saheb, told reporters at the Jaiprakash Narayan Airport here.
Sinha clarified that he was saying so as Kumar was among many leaders qualified for the post. "At the end of the day one can become PM only after being chosen by the party and numbers in the elections," he said.
He also said that on the basis of his good personal rapport with Kumar, he would try to build bridges between the NDA and JD(U). Sinha, who served as Union cabinet minister in the Atal Bihari Vajpayee-led NDA government, said he was not in favour of the BJP baying for Kumar's blood and calling the break up with JD(U) a betrayal.
"One should not burn all bridges as politics is art of possibility and flexibility," the BJP MP later said. "If we are not together today it does not mean we cannot be together tomorrow also," he said.
- Modi can leverage foreign policy to repair his domestic image
- Muslims biggest losers from our reservation policy, one that Bhagwat rightly wants reviewed
- If Pak state really cared for its people, it would put national economy above all else
- Despite little coverage in India, the Argentinian presidential election is significant
- Uday lacks a strong, accessible monitoring mechanism critical for its success
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say