Nitish lauds PC for status review
- CBI arrests Peter Mukerjea, says he was aware of Sheena Bora murder
- Pay panel suggests 23.55% hike, minimum pay of Rs 18,000 per month
- Paris attacks 'mastermind' Abdelhamid Abaaoud died in Saint-Denis raid
- HS Phoolka releases video of Rajiv Gandhi's speech justifying 1984 riots
- Rahul accuses PM, dares govt to take action on citizenship row
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar hailed the Budget and heaped praises on Finance Minister P Chidambaram for stressing the need to redefine criteria for granting special category status to states.
Bihar has been demanding special status. The JD-U held a rally a couple of months ago to press this demand and plans to hold another rally in Delhi in March. Nitish lauding the FM assumes political significance with the CM saying during his Adhikar Yatra that the JD-U will support a coalition which will grant Bihar special status.
"People of Bihar have reasons to be happy because the Centre has decided to redefine criteria for giving a state special category status. I have long been trying to emphasise that criteria of backwardness need to reviewed. We thank the FM for appreciating our concern," Nitish said. He also lauded Chidambaram for continuing special assistance for Bihar and for the decision to make Nalanda International University a 'centre of excellence'.
- What Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar won’t say
- Results of local elections indicate that the BSP is regaining ground in UP
- The idea of Bihar: Social justice cohesion should be consolidated further
- Why the British commemorate Tipu Sultan
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment