N-missile fired off undersea platform
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
- Arvind Kejriwal set to launch Aam Aadmi Party Lok Sabha poll campaign tomorrow at Rohtak
- Hindu migrants from Bangladesh must be accommodated: Modi
- Sushma Swaraj on Rahul Gandhi's anti-graft efforts: Sau chuhe kha ke billi haj ko chali
- Days after former Mumbai commissioner, another top cop quits post to join BJP
India on Sunday made a major stride towards completing its nuclear triad capability by successfully test-firing a nuclear-capable ballistic missile, with a strike range of around 1,500 km, from an underwater platform in Bay of Bengal.
Completion of the nuclear triad will give India the ability to fire nuclear-tipped missiles from land, air and sea. This is the first missile in the underwater category to have been fully developed by India and can be launched from a submarine. "The medium range K-5 ballistic missile was test-fired successfully today from an underwater pontoon and all parameters of the test firing were met," Defence Research and Development Organisation chief V K Saraswat told PTI from an undisclosed test area.
Officials said more than 10 trials of the missile had been carried out earlier. Today's was the last development trial of K-5. Only a select few nations, including the US, France, Russia and China, have this type of missile capability, they said.
The development phase of K-5 missile, which comes in the category of submarine-launched ballistic missile, was over and it was now ready for deployment on various platforms, including the around 6,000-tonne indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant which is under development, Saraswat said.
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express