No degrees for students who gave bribes
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Kejriwal holds roadshow in Varanasi before filing nomination
- Mulayam Yadav calls Narendra Modi a liar, says he changes 500 kurtas a day
- Bhavnagar model: Muslim buys house, canât move in
- 12-yr-olds also voted in this Bihar village
- Shazia says Muslims should become 'communal' when they vote
The University of Pune (UoP) has decided to cancel the degree certificates of students who passed the examinations by paying bribes and got their marks increased fraudulently through re-evaluation process. Officials said apart from police investigation, the university has also started its own internal probe to find out the number of students who passed after paying bribe.
According to the varsity officials, of the 21 students who allegedly paid bribe to get their marks increased, not all have cleared the papers. Those who passed by using illegal means and obtained degrees will be stripped of their degrees, said officials.
"Our stand is clear that if these students have passed the examination through illegal means, the result will be revoked and he or she will be considered fail. Police has provided us a list of 21 students who allegedly paid to get their marks increased. But it's clear that all of them haven't cleared the said examination. We have initiated our own internal probe to find out how many of these students actually cleared the papers by using illegal means This probe will be carried out parallel to the police investigation. The university administration has taken a decision to cancel the degree certificates of the students if they have obtained them after passing examination through illegal means," said a highly placed source in the UoP.
According to the probe report submitted by the three-member fact-finding committee, students paid around Rs 15,000 to 20,000 to agents to increase their marks through re-evaluation process. The agents used to get in touch with examination department officials who in-turn would increase the marks.
The trick was to increase the marks inconspicuously. If a student needed 10 marks to clear the paper, only seven to eight marks would be increased through re-evaluation. The student was then made to apply to get grace marks to clear the paper.
- Run Away Style
- Stakes high for AIADMK, DMK as TN goes to polls
- Six Bengal constituencies go to poll tomorrow in second phase
- Whistleblower alleged kickbacks, favours in ‘thin client’ procurement; NDA never completed inquiry
- Pune AAP volunteers all set to hit campaign trail in Varanasi
- ‘Interstate’ gang of chain snatchers held; gold worth Rs 80 lakh seized