No lawyer turns to defend youths arrested for eve-teasing
- AAP govt sacks Delhi Food Minister Asim Ahmed over corruption charges
- Two Indians detained in Dubai and Saudi Arabia for terror links
- Nitish Kumar ups the ante against BJP, says Bihar will progress on its own efforts
- Man beheads wife; walks on Pune road with her head
- Tell us one place where Ganga is clean: NGT asks Centre
No lawyer today turned to defend the two youths, who were arrested on charges of eve-teasing, and produced before a court in Kendrapara district.
The two-youths Rashmi Ranjan Muduli (28) and Uttam Das (29) were produced before the court of Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate (SDJM) Madhumita Mohanty.
As no lawyer turned up to defend the two-youths, the SDJM remanded them to 14-days judicial custody.
Kendrapara Bar Association, member B K Sahu said the district bar association had earlier adopted an unanimous resolution not to extend legal assistance to offenders involved in sexual molestation and eve-teasing offences.
After the resolution was passed this was the first case of eve-teasing offence and so no lawyer extended legal assistance to the offenders, Sahu said.
Muduli and Das had allegedly passed lewd comments against some girls of a government-run science college near here.
The girls raised an alarm and the local people nabbed the two youths and handed them over to police on December 24.