No need to wipe out fog on your car's windscreen!
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- Kumar Vishwas files application alleging threat to life from Rahul and Priyanka
- Vote for Supriya Sule or lose water, âthreatensâ Ajit Pawar
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, KXIP vs CSK: CSK lose Smith, McCullum after flying start against KXIP
A new water-repellent nanoscale coating could resist both fogging and frosting on glasses, paving way for clearer surfaces, MIT scientists say.
The coating could prevent frost and fog from forming on windshields, camera lenses and other surfaces.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) scientists say the invention is an advance towards glass that remains clear
under the harshest of conditions.
The study on nanoscale coating, which could have uses ranging from automobile windshields to camera lenses, according to the study published in the journal ACS Nano.
Researchers Michael F Rubner, Robert E Cohen and colleagues point out that anti-fogging coatings that absorb water have been the focus of attention lately because of their
ability to reduce light scattering and the resultant distortion caused by condensation.
However, under extreme fogging conditions, these surfaces
may frost and become foggy. They set out to make a better
coating to withstand the aggressive conditions.
Their report describes development and testing of a new coating that rapidly absorbs water molecules that cannot
freeze in the coating.
At the same time, the coating has a water-repelling or
hydrophobic effect to larger water droplets, according to the
The hydrophobic character means that water droplets do not
spread extensively on the coating but essentially remain as
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer