No roadmap for building schools for copsí kids
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Thousands join Narendra Modi as he begins roadshow ahead of filing nomination from Varanasi
- Modi to Cong: Just 20 days more...Will take revenge
- Letter by Xavier's principal criticising Gujarat model taken down from college website
- Donât allow regional parties to contest LS polls: Chavan
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: Slow voting in Mumbai, UP registers 24 % in first four hours
The plan of setting up of model schools for children of police personnel, which was announced by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee during a recent police event, may not have a smooth progress.
Home Department officials said the project was announced without giving much thought into it. They said no feasibility study or any kind of research was done before announcing the project.
The first and the foremost problem for the project is the availability of land. "If a school is set up, there would have to be a playground. Since land is scarce in the state, we do not know if we will get land in every police station area. We have to get the answer to this question first," a senior Home Department official said.
"Since the chief minister has floated an idea and we have to execute her directions. The first hurdle that we have to cross is concerning the availability of land," the official added.
Another Home Department official said the chief minister made the announcement of the project without looking into whether the idea is feasible or not. "We have to somehow make it happen. But we do not know who will run the school. Will it be run by the police administration or by the school education department? If it is police administration then separate recruitment rules will have to be framed," the official added.
Another problem they said is which government department will bear the expenditure of the schools. "Will it be spent from the budget of the Home Department? We hope all these questions will be addressed," they said.
Recently, the chief minister had instructed Director General of Police Naparajit Mukherjee to work out the modalities of setting up model schools in order to prioritise the issue of education of the children of police personnel who are often transferred from one place to another.
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling
- Hyderabad blast 2013: Agencies hunt for Mangalore ‘source’
- Police raids Giriraj Singh's home to arrest him for hate remarks
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police