No role in honour killings: Khap panchayats
- Combating terrorism must be major priority for G20: PM Narendra Modi
- Obama on Paris attack: Twisted ideology behind killing of innocents
- G20 summit: India pledges to hike renewable energy output to 175GW by 2022
- Two attackers killed in Paris were Frenchmen living in Brussels
- Petrol price hiked by 36 paise/litre, diesel by 87 paise/litre
Haryana khap panchayat leaders on Tuesday reiterated they did not have any role in honour killings in the state. They claimed that while there are no khaps in Punjab, still there had been over 280 cases of honour killings. Haryana, however, has registered 170 such killings.
Around 50 cases of honour killings also came to light in UP. Haryana is not the only state from where such incidents are reported, they added.
While addressing mediapersons in Jind, Coordinator of Jats Khap Panchayat, Kuldeep Dhanda, said: "Khap panchayats have never issued any verdict of honour killing. It is not that khaps are pronouncing such verdicts everywhere. We had been raising voice against the same gotra marriages because it leads to several ailments, which has also been scientifically proven. We have even appealed to the Supreme Court to ban same gotra marriages and bring an amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act."
The leaders added that various khaps had submitted their opinion on the issue of honour killings and female foeticide in the Supreme Court on Monday. The Supreme Court had asked khaps of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh to submit their views on the two issues by February 18 over a case filed by Delhi-based NGO Shakti Vahini. The case will now come up for hearing on March 5.
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly
- Paris attacks: The loss of innocence
- How the AMU professor became a rallying point for LGBT movement
- Across the aisle: The ethos of India wins the election
- Salvation of India rests with Modi, provided he reforms himself