No shop at Sarabha Nagar market has fire safety NOC: RTI reply
- 5th phase of elections: Moderate to high turnout on biggest voting day, halfway mark crossed
- Congress releases CD of Uma Bharti calling Narendra Modi 'Vinash Purush'
- April 17 poll roundup: Rajnath says only Modi will be PM; Jaswant Singh writes to EC against Raje
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs RCB: Rahul breaks solid stand, Patel departs
Not a single shopkeeper in the Sarabha Nagar main market, also called 'Kipps Market' which stays abuzz till late night, has got no-objection fire safety certificate from the Divisional Fire Office.
This fact came to light after RTI activist Arvind Sharma filed an RTI application on January 7 this year, seeking copies of NOC certificates issued and a list of defaulters who never got NOC issued.
"Not even a single NOC has been issued till date to any shopkeeper in Sarabha Nagar market. Shopkeepers are responsible for getting NOC registered," said the RTI reply from the office of the sub-divisional fire officer, dated January 22.
Sharma told Ludhiana Newsline, "I was expecting a list of defaulters but here the whole market is a defaulter as not even a single shopkeeper has got NOC. On the top of it, owners are using these SCFs (shops-cum-flats as per the original scheme of the Ludhiana Improvement Trust) as SCOs (shops-cum-offices) and have also made semi-basements which are against building bylaws of the Ludhiana Municipal Corporation."
Kipps, a famous restaurant at the market, had caught fire two times in the past few years and recently on January 4, another eatery, Nando's, caught fire in which the whole kitchen was gutted but no one was injured.
Bhupinder Singh, assistant divisional fire officer, said, "This fact has come to our notice only now. Next week action will be taken. Shopkeepers will be issued notices."
- Ready for elections: Parties
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs