No Third Front without Congress or BJP support: Ram Vilas Paswan
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Support of either Congress or BJP is a must if a Third Front has to emerge after the general elections next year, Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan has said.
"See, a Third Front is not possible without the support of BJP or Congress. Their support is mandatory. Since the alliance would have to be secular, it can't take BJP's support and it will have to take Congress' support. That is why I have stated the main issue is Congress, and LJP wants to maintain an alliance with Congress," Paswan said.
With RJD supremo Lalu Prasad landing in jail in connection with the Fodder Scam, Paswan said there was a need for serious discussion among the current allies to decide on the future course ahead of the 2014 elections.
He said LJP is interested in staying in alliance with Congress but the onus is on the ruling party to decide on their partners.
"We want our alliance with Congress to stay, but they have to decide on the future course of the alliance. At the moment, we are together with RJD but now that Lalu ji is in jail, and election time is nearing, there is a need for a serious discussion among the parties," Paswan said.
Once an ally of the BJP-led NDA front, Paswan, a Rajya Sabha MP, claimed it was the demolition of the Babri Masjid which went against the party's prospects.
"An issue can be worked out only once. Had the Babri Masjid not been demolished, BJP would not have been reduced to this dismal state. They could have banked upon votes on that issue. But with its demolition, Babri Masjid as an issue also ceased for BJP.
"It was a mistake by BJP. Had the Babri Masjid not been demolished, BJP would have kept coming to power," claimed Paswan.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express