No Union Territory status for Hyderabad: GoM
- Modi dares China, asks it to give up âexpansionistâ plans
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
The Group of Ministers (GoM), set up to look into issues concerning the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, ruled out the possibility of declaring Hyderabad as Union Territory in its first meeting held on Friday.
The Cabinet had declared Hyderabad as joint capital of Telangana and Seemandhra for 10 years.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram and Defence Minister A K Antony missed the meeting, which also discussed financial packages for Seemandhra that is likely to include tax concessions and a special grant for backward regions.
The meeting was chaired by Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde.
In a statement released after the meeting, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said the GoM discussed the modalities to carve out Telangana while keeping in mind to address relevant issues and concerns with fairness and objectivity. "The GoM would take opinion of stakeholders on all important subjects while formulating its recommendations," the statement added.
"The next meeting of the GoM will be held on October 19," said an official, adding the government was serious in bringing the Andhra Pradesh re-organisation Bill at the earliest.
The GoM also ruled out imposition of President's rule in the state despite violent protests.
Sources claimed the GoM has decided not to visit Andhra Pradesh in order to have a fair and impartial view.
The Home Ministry is also learnt to have invited suggestions from the public on the bifurcation through e-mails.
After the meeting, Shinde said: "The basis of all discussions and decisions of GoM will be the Srikrishna Committee's report."
The GoM, however, is of the view that the people and government of Seemandhra shall decide on the new capital for their state instead of the Centre thrusting their decision on them, said officials.
In the coming days, the GoM, besides determining the boundaries of Telangana and the residuary state of Andhra, will also look into legal and administrative steps to ensure that both states function efficiently from Hyderabad.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express